Scheme for Schools
'Sowing the seeds for the next generation of gardeners'
In 2012 Poplar Nurseries launched this school based gardening scheme to share our passion for 'Growing Your Own' with the young gardeners of the future.
Eight local schools were originally chosen to take part in ‘pilot’ venture.
The schools were:-
- St. Peter’s Church of England Primary – Coggeshall
- St. Andrew’s Primary – Marks Tey
- St. Mary’s, Comrie House – Colchester
- Copford Primary – Copford
- Layer de la Haye Primary – Layer de la Haye
- Colchester High School – Colchester
- Colchester County High School for Girls – Colchester
- Great Tey Primary – Great Tey
These original eight schools received gardening packs which included a two metre cedar Vegetable Trug from VegTrug.com, compost to fill their VegTrugs from Westland Compost, packets of seeds from Unwins and Thompson & Morgan, gardening tools from Yeoman Tools and vegetable feed from Scotts.
Children were very enthusiastic with this project and grew some great selections of crops despite some not very favourable weather conditions in 2012. The end of the academic year was celebrated by each school submitting a ‘Salad Bowl’ with items that they have grown.
We are delighted to welcome the following additional schools for 2013:-
- Lexden Primary School - Colchester
- Gosbecks Primary School - Colchester
- All Saint's Primary School - Fordham
- Birch C of E Primary School - Birch
- Elm Hall Primary School - Witham
- Honywood Communtiy Science School - Coggeshall
- Baynards Primary School - Tiptree
- Kings Ford Infant & Nursery School - Colchester
- Kingswode Hoe School - Colchester
- North Primary School & Nursery- Colchester
- Stanway Secondary School - Colchester
- Colchester County High School for Girls- Colchester
We are looking forward to seeing the schools produce for this years Salad Bowl Competition.