Scheme for Schools
'Sowing the seeds for the next generation of gardeners'
In 2012 Poplar Nurseries launched this school based gardening scheme to share our passion for 'Growing Your Own' with the young gardeners of the future. We invest in local schools giving them free seeds and compost every year, culminating in the Annual Salad Bowl Competition.
The participating schools are:-
- St. Peter’s Church of England Primary – Coggeshall
- St. Andrew’s Primary – Marks Tey
- St. Mary’s, Comrie House – Colchester
- Copford Primary – Copford
- Layer de la Haye Primary – Layer de la Haye
- Colchester High School – Colchester
- Colchester County High School for Girls – Colchester
- Great Tey Primary – Great Tey
- Lexden Primary School - Colchester
- Gosbecks Primary School - Colchester
- All Saint's Primary School - Fordham
- Birch C of E Primary School - Birch
- Elm Hall Primary School - Witham
- Honywood Communtiy Science School - Coggeshall
- Baynards Primary School - Tiptree
- Kings Ford Infant & Nursery School - Colchester
- Kingswode Hoe School - Colchester
- North Primary School & Nursery- Colchester
- Stanway Secondary School - Colchester
- Colchester County High School for Girls- Colchester
Salad Bowl Competition 2013
We are delighted to announce that Birch Primary School have won the Poplar Nurseries Salad Bowl Competition 2013 (pictured top left).
A selection of 'school grown' salad crops/vegetables were presented here at Poplar for Friday 19th July and were then judged by our restaurant Head Chef, Richard A'len and Farm Shop Manager, Mandy Cowan. Thank you to all the schools who took part - we were all very impressed with the quality of your crops and the way they were presented in the salad bowls. Birch Primary School won a selection of gardening goodies and were presented with our Rose Bowl trophy which will be displayed at the school for one year until the 2014 Salad Bowl Competiton.
The Stanway School were placed as runners up and were presented with gardening items for their excellent contribution (pictured top right).
If your school would like to take part, please let us know.