Pond Plants for Sale in Colchester, Essex
The range of aquatic pond plants for sale in Colchester, Essex, at Poplar Nurseries, can give visual interest to a pond, encourage wildlife and can help keep water clear. Choosing the right pond plants greatly adds to your enjoyment of the pond as well as that of visiting or resident wildlife. We stock a variety of pond plants, including water lilies, marginals, oxygenators and floating plants.
Guide to planting in a pond:
• Plant marginals with 3-15cm of water over the soil surface, in groups of 3-5 of the same variety
• Small pots should be secured to prevent fish disturbance
• Approximately 30-40% of the pond surface area should be covered to provide shade for fish and reduce algae growth
• Short-growing oxygenators can be placed on marginal shelves. Deep water varieties are best planted but can be left loose in the bottom of the pond
• Simply place floating plants on the pond surface
• Plants in solid pots should be transplanted into mesh pots to allow water and oxygen to freely circulate the roots
• Lay out your planting as you would a flower arrangement, with tall plants at the back and low plants at the front
Approximate planting density for pools:
• Water Lilies: 1 per 2-3m sq.
• Marginals: 5 x 1 litre or 3x3 litre plants per m.
• Oxygenators: 2-3 bunches per m sq.
• Floating plants: 2-3 plants per m sq.
Call in advance to check stock levels before making your journey to our nursery in Marks Tey.